Saturday, August 30, 2008

Part of the problem...

Here's a partial list of railroads that I find very interesting, and worthy of modeling. I hope it'll shed some light on why I rarely accomplish any significant focused modeling projects. In alphabetical order:

Akou Railway (30" gauge, Japan)
Alberta Land & Coal Co. (3' gauge, Alberta, Canada)
Alishan forest railway (30" gauge, Taiwan)
Argent Lumber Co. (3' gauge, USA)
Arrow Lakes Lumber Co. (standard gauge, BC, Canada)
Bangor & Aroostook (standard gauge, Maine, USA)
Boston & Maine (standard gauge, Mass. & Maine, USA)
Brighton & Saco River (2' gauge, Maine, USA)
Canadian National (42" gauge, Newfoundland, Canada)
Canadian National (standard gauge, Canada & USA)
Canadian Pacific (standard gauge, Canada & USA)
Central Rafael Freyre (30" gauge, Cuba)
Central Vermont (standard gauge, Vermont, USA)
Colorado & Southern (3' gauge, Colorado, USA)
Darjeeling Himalayas Railway (2' gauge, West Bengal, India)
Denver & Rio Grande Western (3' gauge, Colorado, USA)
Dolly Varden Mines Railway (3' gauge, BC, Canada)
East Broad Top (3' gauge, USA)
East Tennessee & Western North Carolina (3' gauge, USA)
Erie (standard gauge, USA)
Esquimalt & Nanaimo (standard gauge, Vancouver Island, Canada)
Ferrocarril de Antofagasta a Bolivia (30" gauge, Chile & Bolivia)
Ferrocarriles de Cuba (standard gauge, Cuba)
Ferrovías Guatemala (3' gauge, Guatemala)
Grand Trunk (standard gauge, Canada & USA)
Hakone Tozan Line (42" gauge, Japan)
Hershey Electric (standard gauge, Cuba)
Igasa Railway (30" gauge, Japan)
Ilwaco Railway and Navigation Company (3' gauge, Washington, USA)
JNR (42" gauge, Japan)
Kaslo & Slocan (3' gauge, BC, Canada)
Kiso Forest Railway (30" gauge, Japan)
Klondike Mines Railway (3' gauge, Yukon, Canada)
Kubiki Light Railway (30" gauge, Japan)
Kunming-Hekou Railway (formerly the Sino-Vietnamese Railway, metre gauge, China)
Lebanon & Cornwall (standard gauge, USA)
Maine Central (standard gauge, Maine)
Mann Creek Railroad (3' gauge, USA)
Meitsu Street Railway (42" gauge, Japan)
Monon (standard gauge, USA)
Monson Railway (2' gauge, Maine)
Nakusp and Slocan Railway (standard gauge, BC, Canada)
Narita Railway (30" gauge, Japan)
NdeM (standard gauge, Mexico)
Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad (3' gauge, USA)
New Haven (standard gauge, USA)
New York Central (standard gauge, USA)
Oahu Railway and Land Company (3' gauge, Hawaii)
Portland Terminal (standard gauge, Maine)
Rio Grande Southern (3' gauge, Colorado)
Rutland (standard gauge, USA)
Sandy River & Rangley Lakes (2' gauge, Maine)
Soo Line (standard gauge, USA)
South African Railways (42" gauge, South Africa)
Sumpter Valley (3' gauge, USA)
Swayne Lumber Co. (3' gauge, USA)
Wassertalbahn (760mm gauge [2' 5 7/8"], Romania)
Weimar Forestry Railway (30" gauge, China)
West Side Lumber Co. (3' gauge, USA)
White Pass & Yukon Railway (3' gauge, Alaska)
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington (2' gauge, Maine)

4 comments:

Tom said...

Blimey, you've been busy!

I like the look of the mini layouts!

I have the same problem as you, too much inspiration!!

Simplex said...

Yeah, far too much inspiration!
There's also a number of European electrics that I really like, especially Swiss meter gauge and the french SNCF... Then there's all the lines I don't know the name of yet, but have seen pictures of, like Welsh slate railways or French sugar beet trains...!

-Cody

BTW: I like your idea of using S scale/9mm gauge. I don't think I've seen any S scale/European models, anywhere. I've seen some nice Sn2 layouts using 10.5mm gauge (HOn3) track, but all north american themes. And again speaking of too much inspiration I've been thinking lately of modelling a 42" gauge interurban based on a line that ran in Denver Colorado, using S scale on HO track.....

stephen said...

Probably the most well known S gauge narrow gauge layout over here is Tan-y-Grisau in Sn2 - depicting a station on the Ffestiniog railway (one of the Welsh slate lines). I'm sure there are a few others, but it's very much a minority scale in the UK.

Tom said...

Thanks Cody, as Steve has said it's a minority here... however i am seriously considering it, it's such a tactile scale and sits nicely between 009 and 0-16.5.

Will add something to the blog as and when i get to experimenting...