Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shoebox Mini 2


I managed a little work on my still un-named micro over the last day or so. I built up the basic hillside shape with cardboard and plastercloth, incorporating into the hill the foundation and terrace for the office, which is a Downtown Deco kit. The roof will be modified from the kit version to have a more English look to it. From the top of the hill I hope to build some kind of gravity-fed flue that will load the skip wagons on the spur at the bottom. But I'm not sure yet what the railroad will be hauling though... I'm not sure if I'll keep the shed at the top of the hill. I might move it to the bottom right, on the outside of the curve... The top left area, above the tunnel portal will also be thickened a bit as it looks a little thin to me. I'll probably also try and come up with something to block the view behind the layout from the tunnel portal.


The office / station foundation is actually a loading dock that came with the kit, with the ramp section hidden inside the hill. I had patched the seams with plaster and carved some new stones to blend the corners, but then broke it into four pieces by holding onto it too hard while I was working on it. It glued back together well, but you can still see some cracks. I painted the windows and doors today (green) and will hopefully have time to install them tomorrow, and maybe get started on the roof.


The locomotive is a Grandt Line GE 25t diesel. It just needs a bit more detail and some paint and is ready for work. I also ordered an OO9 (4mm scale, 9mm gauge) Orenstein & Koppel RL1c Montania locomotive kit from Nigel Lawton today, which I think will be a challenge in itself (the locomotive is 32 x 17 x 20 millimeters!), but will provide small enough power to handle the sharp curves and short lead track for the spur. If I can get it to run...

No comments: