Saturday, March 30, 2013

Two Shays

As I mentioned I seem to be moving back toward HOn3 (and away from On3) for my three foot gauge needs, mostly because I keep finding excellent deals on HOn3 models in the used cases at my local hobby shops.  I guess all the local HOn3 modellers are all dying out.

The latest two pieces of motive power added to my roster of geared engines is a pair of beautiful United Shays:
 



Both are in excellent condition and run quite well, especially the unpainted one.  But these two as a pair has made me start thinking of where I want to go with my HOn3 themes and standards.  I think it's pretty much a given that I'm going to be building a logging line, with some mining in there too.   I have several Classic Miniature and Tichy ore cars to build and convert for that.  Should I keep them as an oil burner and a wood burner or convert my motive power to one fuel type?  Should I keep the Kadee couplers (which I don't really like much) or try out Sergent's or go full out ridiculous with link and pin?  Not to mention my ongoing internal debate on switching to DCC...

None of that really matters at the moment because in the meantime I can just watch them glide across my almost three feet of main line and appreciate the detail and charm of these two. 

No comments: