Friday, October 11, 2013

Skeleton Cars

Since my new HOn3 line has a nice collection of geared engines, I supposed that they would look at home pulling an assortment of the usual type of logging gear, especially skeleton cars (more correctly called Connected Cars, I've heard...).  I have a couple in the works, one being this little 20' car based on a drawing from the NG&SLG: 

It's the usual; stripwood, styrene, Micro-Trains coupler and Blackstone trucks with Kadee wheels.  It still needs all the extras, like brake details, NBWs and some weathering and a load.

I have a trio of longer 26' cars going as well of pretty much the same construction but with a solid centre sill, one of them is even getting some detail parts installed:

That's a standard gauge flatcar in the background, I intend to add some dual gauge track to my scheme somehow.  I bought a Bachmann 80ton Shay for it which dwarfs the narrow gauge equipment, which I quite like.  There are some standard gauge bits being built as well.

I'm managing to accomplish the odd finished model, despite the usual distractions, other scales, bourbon, cameras, sometimes work...  I've also recently I've started another Nn3 micro-layout, added some more to my 1/35 scale Austro-Daimler critter, assembled a Mount Blue Models Alna Station in HO scale and have been researching WWI War Department Light Railways for an OO9 project...  Always something to do...

No comments: